Welcome

A Black British Beauty Blogger

Wednesday 16 May 2012

Healthy Hair Journey

For those of you who have followed me on Twitter you may have caught my tweet of this picture, marking my decision to start a Healthy Hair Journey *scary face*.

My hair is chemically relaxed (permed) and has been for the last 15 years. Over the last few months I have enjoyed reading blogs and watching videos of people documenting their Health Hair Journeys (HHJ) be it relaxed to natural / growing their relaxed hair. It has gradually dawned on me that I don’t actually know enough about how to care for my hair in its chemically altered state and this concerned me, prompting my decision to strive for knowledge and invest more time into my hair. 

My hair is very dry and it breaks a lot. It drives my BF mad to find stands of my hair acting like tumble weed on the floor and I hate to see strands on my clothes. Whilst I have read a lot about the benefits of Co-Washing I still can’t get over my need to shampoo first,  so I thought I would compensate by going sulphate free as much as possible with my shampoos and conditioners

This shampoo was one of the first items I purchased and was excited to try it. I didn’t expect the sulphate free shampoo to wash my hair and was pleasantly surprised that it provided a decent lather to successfully cleanse my hair. My hair was moist, smooth and supple in texture after each use; for some reason I expected it to strip my hair but was so glad that this wasn’t the case. 

One of the consequences of reading all of these blogs and watching so many videos is that I have become a bit of a product junkie of late. It has gotten to the point where the people in my local hair shops know me by sight enough to stop following me around and actually smile when I come in. I will be documenting my progress in this blog and how I get along with the other products I have been using where appropriate. 

If you have any hints, suggestions or tips them please feel free to drop me a line or send me a link. I initially found it confusing but am getting used to some of the terms (co-washing/ baggying, DC) but am open to receiving any help you care to give.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, feel free to leave a comment. Please leave a nickname for all anon posts as I may respond.