Welcome

A Black British Beauty Blogger

Saturday 22 December 2012

Guide to surviving the sales (Pt1)

Source

It's that time of the year when we all start to count down the hours until Christmas, obviously we are all excited at the prospect of spending time with family (right?) but it's the anticipation of the bargains that Boxing Day promises to provide that really gets the adrenaline pumping. 

I thought it might be wise to impart some helpful tips  

Plan ahead - Get an idea of what you want
Those of us who worked in retail know that Christmas eve is the time to start slyly moving items due to be reduced together. The savvy shoppers among us will have already started to stalk out potential hunting  grounds. I'm a big fan of these missions - trying on items to gauge  a coveted items fit,  determining if alternative sizes  are an option should your preferred size get snapped up etc...  

Know what you are prepared to pay 
I've made the mistake of buying an item in a sale only to get home and discover that it's only been reduced by £5. To avoid  this, I now make a point of finding out what the original selling price is and  will mentally start to mark out how much i'm prepared to pay - it's got to be half price or less for me to consider it. 

Forget trends
Ever wonder why the stores look like a jumble sale? Always remember, sale time is a way for stores to get rid of OLD stock and make way for new items. I tend to shop for classic or basic garments I am confident will fit into my existing wardrobe without any fuss. Neon / Pastels /Floral  may have been 'in' this year but there was a reason why you didn't purchase the neon perspex daisy chain bangle a full price. This year I'm low on underwear and bottoms so will make a point of seeking these items out. 

Cash is King - Know how much you can afford to spend BEFORE you start
Make a list of what you need or want to get before hitting the shops or loading up your online basket. If you find an item but it needs any alteration -leave it. The cost of making repairs will eat into the initial bargain.

Cost per wear
How many times will I wear it, will it fit into my look comfortably. Carrie might have worn a tutu in New York but how many times are you gonna be able to rock that dalmatian yellow version? 

Money too tight to mention?  Go Thrifting
Shake off that outdated image of the charity shop and head down to pick up an item that will not be instantly recognisable to all. Laugh at everyone queuing outside the department store and take your time searching for that unique item at the faction of it's original price. Make sure you bring a bag of your own unloved pieces that have been languishing at the bottom of your wardrobe!

Quick fire questions to ask: 
Would I buy this at full price if I won the Lottery? 
Does it suit me?
If I didn't see that woman pick it up first, would I still want it? 

Stay tuned for part two of my guide...

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, you're welcome. Let me know if you hit the sales. BMLxx

    ReplyDelete

Hi, feel free to leave a comment. Please leave a nickname for all anon posts as I may respond.